S&P Heat Treating Inc. is now offering a BLACK OXIDE Coating Process
We specialize in single piece, small batch, and bulk processing smaller pieces. Our BLACK OXIDE coating process provides a uniform black surface that is corrosion and somewhat scratch resistant. It is used mostly for moving parts that cannot tolerate a dimensional change and to decrease light reflection. Black Oxide coating process applies to ferrous, non-ferrous, brass and copper alloy. The Black Oxide is a true conversion coating converting iron to the naturally occurring black iron oxide compound called magnetite. Machining, polishing, buffing, line-graining, and abrasive blast, all play an important part in achieving a desired shade or gloss level.
The Black Oxide Coating Processes
Blackening can be achieved in several different ways. There are three main ways to do this:
- Hot Bath
- Cold Coating
- Mid-Temperature Bath
Benefits of Black Oxide Coating
- Will not significantly change the dimensions of the fasteners as hot dip galvanizing does.
- A cost effective alternative to other methods of corrosion resistance such as electroplating.
- The coating process can normally be done in large quantities which makes it faster and cheaper for smaller sizes.
- Provides a decorative finish
- Adds a layer of mild corrosion and abrasion resistance
- Paint sticks well to the black coating
S&P Heat Treating Black Oxide processes certify to various aerospace, military, and customer specifications:
- MIL-DTL-13924 Class 1, 2, 3, & 4
Please contact S&P Heat Treating now to get a quote for your BLACK OXIDE Coating needs. We proudly serve our customers in the states of Rhode Island ( RI ), Massachusetts ( MA ), Connecticut ( CT ), New Hampshire ( NH ), and throughout the USA.